The most wonderful time of the year is not only spending time with family and friends for the holidays, it is also sitting in front of the television rooting on your favorite college football teams! A bowlful of chili and an ice cold beer makes for a perfect pregame meal. If you’re like me and overindulged the past few days, this healthy turkey chili recipe should make you feel a little better, well, that is if your team wins.
- 1 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1/3 cup chopped poblano pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1.25 lbs of ground turkey (I used 85/15)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz) fat-free chicken broth
- In a large saucepan, cook onion, pepper, garlic and turkey, stirring frequently until turkey is done.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with toppings such as sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.
Original recipe by Cooking Light, this version adapted by East9thStreet.